Erik Vaartnou studied at Emily Carr University of Art and Design in Vancouver, earning a Fine Arts Certificate and a Painting Certificate. He also has Bachelor of Commerce and Master of Arts (Economics) Degrees from the University of Alberta in Edmonton and did further post-graduate studies at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. Prior to working as an artist he had a successful career in the telecommunications industry, focussing on customer and market analytics. Born in Vancouver, he now resides nearby in West Vancouver.
Erik’s artworks generally portray the world with nuanced optimism. Inspiration comes from issues affecting people, the human condition and the state of our planet, but the paintings reflect an ultimately positive point of view and a love of life. The works are visually appealing but are layered and can be thought provoking. They feature crisp compositions, saturated colours and complex reflective surfaces created using acrylics and mixed media.
Erik is an Active Member of the Federation of Canadian Artists and an Artist Member of the West Vancouver Community Arts Council and the North Shore Artists Guild.
- Silk Purse Art Centre – Mar 2021
- Federation Gallery – Spotlight Exhibition – Mar 2021
- CityScape Community ArtSpace – Nov-Dec 2020
- The Art of Resilience Virtual Art Exhibit – West Van Arts Council Nov 2020 – Jan 2021
- Federation Gallery – Crisis Exhibition – Oct 2020
- Federation Gallery – Painting on the Edge Exhibition – Jul-Aug 2020
- Distant Together Virtual Art Exhibit – West Van Arts Council Apr 2020
- Silk Purse Art Centre – Feb-Apr 2020
- CityScape Community ArtSpace – Nov-Dec 2019
- Harmony Arts Festival – Aug 2019
- Silk Purse Art Centre – Feb-Mar 2019
- CityScape Community ArtSpace – Nov-Dec 2018